TO ALL CONSTITUENT CHAPTERS OF THE TEXAS DeMOLAY ASSOCIATION & TEXAS ASSEMBLIES OF RAINBOW FOR GIRLS.
RE: 47th ANNUAL GOVERNMENT DAY – FEBRUARY 10 – 11, 2024
All of this information is subject to change!
It is time for our 47th Annual Government Day, one of the major highlights of the Texas DeMolay year! The information you need to register for this event is contained in this packet. If you have any questions, please see the contact info below.
All registration must be completed online. All participants must be officially registered as part of a Chapter or Assembly delegation. There will be no individual registrations accepted. If the House and Senate are full before the registration deadline, we will try to accommodate all registrants, but we may not be able to guarantee official seats. A Medical Release Form for each participant (youth and adult) must be mailed to Chance Chapman, the event Registrar. Chapters and Assemblies should also have at least one copy of each form with them during Government Day.
The DEADLINE for registration is Friday, January 26, 2024.
*** There is NO LATE REGISTRATION ***
The registration fee will be $35 for everyone attending. Each Chapter and Assembly must send a $100 damage deposit check with your Medical Release Forms. There will be no exceptions. This is for all delegations no matter the size. A delegation will not be considered fully registered until the medical release forms and damage deposit are received. This is if the Texas DeMolay Association must pay for damages incurred in the Capitol or the location of the dance. The damage deposit MUST be a separate check. It will be returned or shredded when it is determined no damages have occurred. Your damage deposit check should be accompanied by a self-addressed and stamped envelope if you would like the check returned instead of shredded. Checks will be returned between 90 and 120 days after the event. There will be no refunds provided after the registration period closes.
The Executive Officer for Texas DeMolay requires at least two (2) registered Advisors for each Chapter. Three Advisors will be needed if more than 10 DeMolays are present from each delegation. The Grand Assembly of Texas may have different requirements. You will be responsible for knowing and abiding by those guidelines. If you do not have a registered adult in your group, you will not be allowed to participate.
The dance location will be announced before Government Day and will be semi-formal attire.
Lunch will be provided. It is included in your registration cost. The house will recess from 12 PM- noon to 2 PM, one hour each, to give ample opportunity for all to enjoy lunch.
Each Chapter and Assembly will be assigned a specific location on the Capitol grounds to assemble in the case of an evacuation. A designated adult from each delegation will be responsible for accounting for all members of the delegation and reporting to the Executive Officer and/or Director of Government Day. This adult must be designated when credentials are picked up and must be present at Government Day at all times. The designated adult for your Chapter or Assembly will be notified of your designated location before Government Day.
Participation and Chamber Assignments:
Each Chapter and Assembly is encouraged to participate and will be allowed at least one Senator. Please note Chamber assignments for each youth participant during registrations. If there is no choice made, the attendee may be assigned to the House or Senate Chamber at the discretion of the Registrar. No Chapter or Assembly will receive more than two Senators without the approval of the Director of Government Day. The State Executive Committee members of DeMolay are to be given priority regarding Senatorial positions and do not count towards the delegation’s maximum of two Senators. All registrants will be assigned seats in the House unless otherwise noted on the registration form until the House floor is filled. Final seat assignments are at the discretion of the Registrar and Director of Government Day. If the Senate is full and the House still has open seats available, the Registrar may reassign those who have selected the Senate to the House until the House seats are also full. At that time, extra Senate seats will be considered. At least one Senate per delegation will still be allowed. To help avoid confusion and save time, we will be pre-assigning seats in the House and Senate. Seat assignments will be printed on each participant’s name tag.
Rules of the House and Senate:
- No food or beverages are permitted in either House or Senate Chambers, this includes chewing gum and water.
- DO NOT touch the telephones at the desks. They are direct lines to the Representative’s office. They will ring in that office when picked up.
- DO NOT touch the voting machines or voting discs on the desks.
- Keep your feet on the floor.
- Facilities immediately behind the dais in both houses are off-limits. DO NOT remove ropes from doorways. The House members’ lounge (at the left of the dais) is closed except for official business as prescribed by the Clerks.
- DO NOT move or rearrange seating in either House.
- Please request that those in the gallery observe the posted gallery rules.
- Please do not abuse the railing or woodwork in the Chamber.
- Personal telephone calls are made on public telephones outside the Chambers and throughout the Capitol.
- Only active participants, Chamber Officials, and Government Day Staff are allowed inside the brass railing of either chamber.
- Smoking or vaping is PROHIBITED BY LAW on Capitol grounds.
- Report any accidents immediately to the Sergeant at Arms Office in Room 235.
- No Cell Phones, portable electronic devices, or Computers are allowed on the floor of either the House or Senate.
- No items may be left on the desks (paper, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc.) when any session is adjourned.
Violation of any of the above could result in you being asked to leave for the remainder of the session.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.